Animators In UK
Helping You Find The Best UK Animation Experts
Animation Services In UK
Hiring Animation Services in UK – An Independent Guide
As a veteran animator based in UK with over 15 years of professional experience, I have worked on animated projects for a wide range of clients here in the UK. From short social media clips and music videos, to medical simulations and full advert campaigns – I’ve produced all types of animations.
Through my journey in the industry, I have also hired my fair share of talented animation studios across the UK when needing additional production support. So I’ve seen first-hand what separates an average animation company from truly exceptional ones.
Whether you are looking to commission a 2D explainer video for your startup in UK, develop engaging eLearning modules for your university, or even produce a photorealistic 3D animation for architecture visualisations – picking the right animation partner is crucial.
In this comprehensive guide I’ll equip you with insider knowledge and expert advice for evaluating animation studios in UK and beyond.
Types of Animation
Before exploring how to select an animation studio, it’s important to understand the core animation production techniques that exist. The main options include:
This technique involves using digital software to animate characters, text, icons and other graphical elements in a 2D space. Vibrant colours and clean lines make this style highly versatile for corporate messaging, explanatory videos, channel branding and more.
2D is extremely scalable, allowing for anything from simple motion graphics to intricately detailed worlds. Typically more affordable and quicker than 3D approaches.
3D Computer Animation
In contrast, 3D animation creates fully dimensional digital assets and environments that can be filmed with virtual cameras from endless perspectives. This opens the door for highly sophisticated product visuals, cinematic films, immersive game worlds, VR experiences and beyond.
However, developing customised 3D assets and rendering detailed scenes is a labour intensive process reflected in higher production costs. When done right though, the results can be breathtaking.
Stop Motion Animation
Clay figures, miniatures, paper cutouts and real objects are incrementally moved and photographed to create charmingly jittery stop motion animations. This quirky looks lends itself well to narratives driving social causes or product storytelling. The classic holiday special Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer brought stop motion to mainstream popularity.
While technically 2D, motion graphics deserve special mention for their wide ranging utility in video production. Title sequences, animated logos, dynamic transitions, compelling data visualisations, kinetic text and more fall under this umbrella. For many applications, skillfully executed motion design is all you need to make compelling video content pop.
There are certainly additional niche animation forms, but the styles above encompass most projects you are likely to pursue. Once determining the right technique for your goals and parameters, it’s time to…
Find the Right Animation Studio
Hiring an animation partner is no small investment, either financially or in mutual creative efforts. You want assurance that a studio can not only deliver technically, but also has strong project management skills and communication every step of the way.
Here are the most important criteria I analyse when evaluating animation studios based on my professional expertise:
Animation Showreels and Examples
- Are there relevant examples of the specific animation style and complexity you require in industries akin to yours? Generic competency isn’t enough – you want confidence they can execute for your needs.
- Study their overall artistic aesthetic across projects. Do you respond positively to it? Will their signature look resonate well with your target audiences?
Animation Production Processes
- What is their workflow like for taking projects from initial concepts to polished delivery? Do they emphasise storyboards, animatics and iteration before diving straight into production?
- How many feedback cycles and revisions are included? How flexible are they to changes mid-project if creative directions pivot?
- Every animation studio has unique pricing models balancing project specifications, deliverables, timelines and other variables. You want clear visibility upfront into all cost factors – never assume a quote covers everything!
- Be wary of ultra budget animation studios that likely cut critical corners on quality to meet price points or throughput expectations.
Hiring Animation Studios in UK
- Compatible timezones enable real-time communication and feedback. Being 5 hours apart on urgent reviews won’t work.
- Certain regions have access to affordable animation talent, but ensure English fluency and cultural understanding meets your needs first.
- Travel costs add up if face-to-face meetings are required. Prioritising local studios within 50 miles is recommended.
Through applying frameworks like above over my career, I’ve forged partnerships with exceptional animation teams across the UK capable of bringing countless projects seamlessly to life – no matter how unique needs may be.
Beyond evaluating animation vendors themselves, also reflect on a few additional considerations:
Set Clear Animation Goals
- Start by precisely defining what you want the animation to achieve before requesting studio bids. Is it for driving e-commerce purchases? Educating internal teams? Improving patient outcomes?
- Quantify key performance indicators so you can measure results later and calculate true ROI.
Secure Animation Rights
- Intellectual property, licensing usage rights, asset ownership policies and other legal factors come into play. These should be addressed directly within your contracts before confirming orders.
Plan for Animation Iterations
- Even with thorough creative briefs, the development process reveals opportunities for tweaks and improvements. Build buffer time for multiple feedback cycles rather than expecting initial drafts to perfectly match visions right away.
Think Long Term
- Depending on applications, consider if assets should be future proofed for easy updates, new integrations or sequels down the road. This may influence technical approaches early on.
I hope these insider tips give you confidence in navigating animation studios as more than just vendors, but critical partners dedicated to amplifying visions through excellence in motion design and storytelling. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!